COVID-19 Situation

Kia ora koutou,

Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation, the Waikato Touch Association has decided to cancel all further Junior touch module competitions from today onwards until further notice. This includes the Swarbrick park module scheduled for Thursday 19th & 26th March and both the Flagstaff and Steele Park Junior modules scheduled for Monday 23rd March. 

This approach has been taken due to the following

  • With so many competitions already being suspended the level of uncertainty has the potential to significantly disrupt attendance at all our modules. 
  • In making this decision to cancel these modules the Waikato Touch Association agrees that the paramount factor is the health and safety of competitors, volunteers and spectators. 
  • The current environment already features a number of individual schools cancelling their own events such as sport exchanges and camps and making decisions limiting travel and participation.


  • While student participants are registered, the ‘un-ticketed’ nature of events make it extremely difficult to contact trace as other attendees are not registered.
  • The close personal contact nature of sport carries a heightened risk of person to person transfer.


Our Association will work through the logistics of this situation including confirming whether this includes any other events scheduled by us in the near future.

We understand that this may be unsettling for some but please understand that we have explored all options and feel that this was the best option.


Article added: Tuesday 17 March 2020


Latest News